[Qgis-developer] py plugins organization

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Wed Nov 11 05:31:57 EST 2009

Dnia środa, 11 listopada 2009 o 09:50:46 Paolo Cavallini napisał(a):
> Hi all.
> Concerning the organization of the ~100 pytho plugins,

You mean both py and cpp plugins? I think there shouldn't be any division from
users' point of view.

> why don't we group
> them in the same way as GRASS does?

Yes, this is a rough shape of the initial classifiction I made in Vienna.

> I mean:
> - one group for vector operations (v. commands in GRASS)
> - one for rasters (r. + i., imagery)

This is obvious

> - one for database (db.)

Good place for our Postgis managers

> - maybe one for display (d., e.g. for coordinate capture, zoom to point
> etc.)

This is the point we probably have to stray from the grass model. QGIS is just
much more GUI-oriented, so  we have many plugins related to the canvas,
queryfying etc.

> - the unclassifiable ones could be put in a ugly m. (miscellaneous), so to
> stimulate devs to clearly classify their plugins
> - eventually, general plugins could go in their own menu (g.)

This is the biggest problem, as what we have is just a huge bunch of various
plugins not organized in any way at their development stage, so it's
completely not comparable to the coherent set of the grass modules ;-)