[Qgis-developer] py plugins organization

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Wed Nov 11 06:11:02 EST 2009

Borys Jurgiel wrote:
> Dnia środa, 11 listopada 2009 o 09:50:46 Paolo Cavallini napisał(a):
>> Hi all.
>> Concerning the organization of the ~100 pytho plugins,
>
> You mean both py and cpp plugins? I think there shouldn't be any division from
> users' point of view.
>
>> why don't we group
>> them in the same way as GRASS does?
>
> Yes, this is a rough shape of the initial classifiction I made in Vienna.
>
>> I mean:
>> - one group for vector operations (v. commands in GRASS)
>> - one for rasters (r. + i., imagery)
>
> This is obvious
>
>> - one for database (db.)
>
> Good place for our Postgis managers
>
>> - maybe one for display (d., e.g. for coordinate capture, zoom to point
>> etc.)
>
> This is the point we probably have to stray from the grass model. QGIS is just
> much more GUI-oriented, so  we have many plugins related to the canvas,
> queryfying etc.
>
>> - the unclassifiable ones could be put in a ugly m. (miscellaneous), so to
>> stimulate devs to clearly classify their plugins
>> - eventually, general plugins could go in their own menu (g.)
>
> This is the biggest problem, as what we have is just a huge bunch of various
> plugins not organized in any way at their development stage, so it's
> completely not comparable to the coherent set of the grass modules ;-)
>
>> How about this?
>> All the best.

I'll suggest, that cross listing may be an acceptable way to deal with
part of the issue, within some limit of course. Nothing worse than
selecting a folder you think contains the tool you want and realizing
it's in something totally different.

Possible additional categories:
Cartography
Map Interaction
Export tools (Mapserver, OpenLayer, Mapnik stuff)
Import tools (Open Street Map?)

Would Metadata go under Database or should we call it Data Management?
Course then the question is if GDAL tools fits in there too.

Seems like we need to look more closely at the existing tools and see
what alternatives present themselves.

Alex