[Qgis-developer] Re: [Graphics] Re: new gis theme and common repository

Steven M. Ottens steven at minst.net
Mon Nov 30 06:19:58 EST 2009

Hi all,

On Nov 30, 2009, at 9:28 AM, Robert Szczepanek wrote:

> Hi Anita,
>
> Thank you for this e-mail. You pointed important issues.
>
> Anita Graser pisze:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Great that we have a working SVN now. How will we continue from this point?
>
> In fact it's up to us. Tango approach is for me good example.

I agree, they have a well thought out approach with documentation on how to implement it. [1]

> First discussion (mailing list, chat, whatever) - then work. Otherwise
> we loose time and wishes correcting our/others work.
> So we do not focus on duplicating work (many themes), but on covering
> different target users of graphics (16x16px, 32x32px, svg, etc).

I believe the SVN set should be a reference implementation for GIS related icons/gfx. We should focus on creating a complete set in all resolutions. If applications want to create there own theme, it is up to them.

> But to do that, we must first agree on basic metaphores. Next step can
> be discussion on their details.
> Good example can be discussion on OGC services
> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/graphics/2009-November/000028.html

We need to create a list of all needed icons and their metaphors, similar to the tange page [2]

The list on the wiki [3]:  is a good starting point. I suggest to start with defining a basic iconset (for instance without the advanced GIS functionality from GRASS). Discuss metaphors and once an agreement is reached put the metaphor behind the icon-name.
Finally once icons are pouring in we can show them in the same table, having columns for 16x16, 22x22, 32x32 and scalable so one can see at once if that icon is available.

> This for sure takes longer, but we do it once.
> Once ... per version :)

Indeed.

> An alternative can be collection of different themes in one place, but
> in my opinion this will be impossible to manage in a while.

> Link to
> source themes in graphics wiki is enough. Just my opinion.
+1

>> Will we upload only the .SVG files there ore also .PNGs?
>
> I would collect source svg and renders in different sizes. As you know
> it is impossible to render from one svg icons in 16x16px and 64x64px and
> not all graphic users (developers) want to play with svg. We need to
> define target png sizes and name svg layers accordingly.
> So if our svg layer is for 16x16 and 32x32 we call it 16-32.
> This way it will be easy to use such svg later for automatic (batch?)
> processing.
> Question is HOW to organise folders structure and file names.
> Sub-folders for every size or for example
> core-name.svg
> core-name_16.png
> core-name_32.png...
> Developers comments are welcome.

Tango uses in its releases:
16x16/actions/address-book-new.png
22x22/actions/address-book-new.png
32x32/actions/address-book-new.png
scalable/actions/addrress-book-new.svg

In their repository they use:
16x16/actions/address-book-new.png
16x16/actions/address-book-new.xcf.bz2   <- source file, can be .svg as well

22x22/actions/address-book-new.png
22x22/actions/address-book-new.xcf.bz2

32x32/actions/address-book-new.png
32x32/actions/address-book-new.svg

scalable/actions/address-book-new.svg

They have an autogen setup which apparently renders all icons in 24x24 as well (adding a 1px border to 22x22 icons)

I believe they chose this file structure to comply with the freedesktop.org icon theme specification [4] I'm not sure how relevant this is for our purpose. It would be nice to come up with a standard file-structure so applications developers can either adept their structure to it, or write a translation script to change the structure to the one that fits their application.

> Do we agree on
>> changing the color palette to Tango?
>
> Yes.
+1

> Is the wiki page the main reference
>> for which icons exist and which are planned?
>
> Wiki as reference for existing icons - yes. In my understanding wiki is
> good place for describing meaning and use scope of icons. And pictures
> from trunk. For planned (or to change) ones better place is trac system.
> I have no experience in this field, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

As I wrote before I think having one wikipage with an overview is the way to go. We can add links to trac-issues on planned/to-be-changed icons. This way someone can claim an icon in trac and preventing double work.

> Or is there some other
>> place? Will we discuss all icons on the mailing list or should we change
>> to the wiki discussion page, where we can easily link pictures to our
>> comments?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Anita
>
> I would prefer mailing list for discussion at the moment, but if there
> are arguments for wiki discussion, we can do it other way.

I'd say we discuss here (and in chat if needed) and write down conclusions on the wiki for future reference

Steven

[1] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Generic_Icon_Theme_Guidelines
[2] http://tango.freedesktop.org/Icon_Metaphors
[3] http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/OSGeo_Graphics#Application_icons