[Qgis-developer] Re: [Graphics] Re: new gis theme and common repository

Anita Graser anitagraser at gmx.at
Mon Nov 30 17:10:36 EST 2009

Hi all,

Am 30.11.2009, 12:19 Uhr, schrieb Steven M. Ottens <steven at minst.net>:

> I believe the SVN set should be a reference implementation for GIS
> related icons/gfx. We should focus on creating a complete set in all
> resolutions. If applications want to create there own theme, it is up to
> them.

All resolutions would be? 16x16 up to 64x64?

> We need to create a list of all needed icons and their metaphors,
> similar to the tange page [2]

I suggest that we do that first before starting to work on any changes to
the current icons.

>> An alternative can be collection of different themes in one place, but
>> in my opinion this will be impossible to manage in a while.

+1. We should only focus on a single theme.

> Tango uses in its releases:
> 16x16/actions/address-book-new.png
> 22x22/actions/address-book-new.png
> 32x32/actions/address-book-new.png
> scalable/actions/addrress-book-new.svg
>
> In their repository they use:
> 16x16/actions/address-book-new.png
> 16x16/actions/address-book-new.xcf.bz2   <- source file, can be .svg as
> well
>
> 22x22/actions/address-book-new.png
> 22x22/actions/address-book-new.xcf.bz2
>
> 32x32/actions/address-book-new.png
> 32x32/actions/address-book-new.svg
>
> scalable/actions/address-book-new.svg

I think this would be a good solution. Developers of GIS software can
easily check out the icon sizes and file types they need.
So we'll have one SVG file per icon. How will we organize that? If I'm
informed correctly, you're now working with only one master SVG file per
icon size?

>> Do we agree on changing the color palette to Tango?
>>
>> Yes.
> +1

Great! That could be step two, after agreeing on which icons we are
planning to create and which metaphors to use.

>>> Is the wiki page the main reference for which icons exist and which are
>>> planned?
>> Wiki as reference for existing icons - yes. In my understanding wiki is
>> good place for describing meaning and use scope of icons. And pictures
>> from trunk. For planned (or to change) ones better place is trac system.
>> I have no experience in this field, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> As I wrote before I think having one wikipage with an overview is the
> way to go. We can add links to trac-issues on planned/to-be-changed
> icons. This way someone can claim an icon in trac and preventing double
> work.

In QGIS project we're now working with the wiki solution for our 64x64
property dialog icons. [http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Icons_2.0]
I'm fine with trac, though I lack experience with that system.

>> I would prefer mailing list for discussion at the moment, but if there
>> are arguments for wiki discussion, we can do it other way.
>
> I'd say we discuss here (and in chat if needed) and write down
> conclusions on the wiki for future reference

Good. So we can now start to create our to-do list and collect ideas for
metaphors?

Best wishes,
Anita