[Qgis-developer] thanks for field calculator

Darren Cope darrencope at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 12:23:20 EDT 2009

Wow!  Great news!  This is a much needed feature in QGIS--well done!

A couple of comments:

1)  The tool is buried under a lot of menus.  I think the ideal place for it
would be directly on the Attribute Table beside the "Toggle Editing" button.
2)  It would be great to have a feature to calculate x,y, area, and length
(I think I saw this mentioned somewhere already, but I'm adding a vote)
without using fTools (and exporting to a new file)
3)  Ideally, a way to calculate a unique ID for a table (e.g.
auto-incrementing sequential numbers).  One way of doing this (implemented
in Kosmo GIS) is to show the 'invisible' ID associated with the shapefile
(e.g. the 'row number' that shows up in the attribute table) and make it
available for calculations.

Cheers,

Darren