[Qgis-developer] Plugins unification. Was: native file dialogs

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 05:20:52 EDT 2009

+1 regarding Barry's suggestion
I will bring this up at the hackfest.
This means that if authors want, they can import (for example)
qgs_utils.py, otherwise, they can simply do it themselves...
Things like: adding a newly created layer to the canvas, iterators
over features, adding/creating new fields, etc...

Carson

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:53 AM, Barry Rowlingson <
b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Marco Hugentobler <marco at hugis.net> wrote:
> > +1
> > Discussing plugin issues at the hackfest will be great. Hopefully we can
> > assemble and write such a guideline document directly there.
> >
> > I agree with Carson that it would be good to have a topic list for the
> > hackfest.
> >
> > So from what I understood, porting f-Tools to the analysis library is
> also
> > intended. Other topics?
>
>  Would this be an opportunity to discuss implementing a set of common
> python utilities for plugins? This would help plugin uniformity and
> stop duplication of code between plugins (which I am sure exists now).
> I think I've suggested this in the past and the arguments against were
> (1) that such functionality should be in the core and (2) that it
> would introduce a dependency that plugins would have to work to.
>
>  My thinking on (1) is that this would include purely pythonic things
> - such as iterators over features - that need to be done as python. My
> thinking on (2) is that we probably have to cope with enough API
> dependencies that one more doesn't matter, and authors can always
> choose to roll their own code.
>
>  Sorry I can't be at hackfest to discuss this further! But if anyone
> has other ideas for common pythonic functionality, I'll be happy to
> hear them...
>
> Barry

Carson Farmer
National Centre for Geocomputation
John Hume Building,
National University of Ireland, Maynooth,
Maynooth,
Co. Kildare,
Ireland.
www.carsonfarmer.com