[Qgis-developer] Plugins unification. Was: native file dialogs

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Thu Oct 8 04:53:55 EDT 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 9:03 AM, Marco Hugentobler <marco at hugis.net> wrote:
> +1
> Discussing plugin issues at the hackfest will be great. Hopefully we can
> assemble and write such a guideline document directly there.
>
> I agree with Carson that it would be good to have a topic list for the
> hackfest.
>
> So from what I understood, porting f-Tools to the analysis library is also
> intended. Other topics?

 Would this be an opportunity to discuss implementing a set of common
python utilities for plugins? This would help plugin uniformity and
stop duplication of code between plugins (which I am sure exists now).
I think I've suggested this in the past and the arguments against were
(1) that such functionality should be in the core and (2) that it
would introduce a dependency that plugins would have to work to.

 My thinking on (1) is that this would include purely pythonic things
- such as iterators over features - that need to be done as python. My
thinking on (2) is that we probably have to cope with enough API
dependencies that one more doesn't matter, and authors can always
choose to roll their own code.

 Sorry I can't be at hackfest to discuss this further! But if anyone
has other ideas for common pythonic functionality, I'll be happy to
hear them...

Barry