[Qgis-developer] vector layers encoding

Milena Nowotarska do.milenki at gmail.com
Fri Oct 16 18:32:19 EDT 2009

Hi,

I think I had "system" encoding on the list (when loading vector data)
but after updating today from osgeo4w I don't have it anymore and all
vectors go on default utf-8, corrupted of course.
If "system" encoding is to be removed permanently, it would be great
to add some info about particular encoding names, next to them in the
dialog list. If we want to stay user-friendly ;)
Who on earth remembers encodings? I mean besides us...
Some users don't even know such thing exists, we don't want to
discourage them at start.

Funny thing, it also magically dissapeared from my standalone
installation... how can they share dependances?

BTW, I used to have all QGIS versions from osgeo4w installer and they
worked fine. Now anything older than Daphnis crash at start. Perhaps
new python issue or something; just to let you know.

Best,
Milena