[Qgis-developer] slow reading shp

Martin Spott Martin.Spott at mgras.net
Tue Oct 20 12:27:34 EDT 2009

Paolo Cavallini wrote:

> This is a frequent complaint by users: can we do something about it? One data set we
> could use for testing is the comuni layer from:

If you need large MapServer layers featuring worldwide coverage, try
some of the "v0_"- or "cstest_"-layers at the FlightGear MapServer:

  http://mapserver.flightgear.org/

Global shapefile dumps of the respective VMap0 layers are here:

  ftp://ftp.ihg.uni-duisburg.de/FlightGear/TGShapes/

Explanations here:

  http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/LandcoverDB_VMap0_Detail

I'm not advertizing these resources without hidden motives, since
"we" (the FlightGear Scenery crew) also experiences slow/delayed
rendering of large layers in QGIS  ....  investigation in progress  ;-)

Cheers,
	Martin.