[Qgis-developer] OSX Snow Leopard update & notes

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Sep 4 15:28:40 EDT 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 12:48 PM, John C. Tull wrote:

>> The Xcode project gets all the install names right, it does the
>> install_name_tool step.  I can look at those bugs and see what I
>> can do.  The 4-way universal part of #1658 is invalid for the
>> standard Qt, since it's not 64bit.  It's also invalid for a 32bit
>> Cocoa build, so for now at least see if a 32bit Cocoa build works.
>
> Regarding the xcode project, where is the install_name_tool step in
> the build process. I'm wondering if I can extrapolate the necessary
> steps from a file or output during the build.

... actually, it's automatic (just checked the details now).
libqgis_core and libqgis_gui are compiled with the correct linking, so
core.so and gui.so don't need "fixing".

The way cmake builds things is that libraries have linking to source
paths. On install, install_name_tool is applied to all libraries and
programs to "fix" paths.  I guess this is done to avoid accidental
linking to older installed copies of libraries.  It doesn't happen in
Qgis for the python modules because python compilation is not under
cmake's control.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

First Pogril: Why is life like sticking your head in a bucket filled
with hyena offal?
Second Pogril: I don't know.  Why IS life like sticking your head in a
bucket filled with hyena offal?
First Pogril: I don't know either.  Wretched, isn't it?

-HitchHiker's Guide to the Galaxy