[Qgis-developer] OSX Snow Leopard update & notes

John C. Tull jctull at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:48:43 EDT 2009

On Sep 4, 2009, at 9:03 AM, William Kyngesburye wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:47 PM, John C. Tull wrote:
>
>> On Sep 3, 2009, at 4:12 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>>
>>> - SIP/PyQt need some fixes, but it's not difficult.  A big problem
>>> is that the Python executable is now 64bit (!), but Qt (standard)
>>> is still 32bit only, so you need to force it to run 32bits so that
>>> SIP and PyQt configuration and tools work properly. (ie pyuic4 is
>>> a shell script that runs the pyuic python script)  And the arch
>>> command is broken, so it's not simple.
>>>
>>> When everything is working smoothly, I'll look into Qt Cocoa.
>>
>> I have been using qt-cocoa, and there are some general issues with
>> it, like the loss of text tags when hovering over items in the
>> canvas legend. I cannot change text color for text labels in the
>> composer, and probably more stuff along those lines.
>>
> I guess we need a Mac developer that understands Qt.  I don't know
> if Tom has time to do a lot of work (if any) on this.

I think you might be correct. I know Tom has been exceptionally
helpful in the past on these issues. (Yes, I'm hoping flattery may
curry favor.)

> Are you building Qgis 64bit with Qt Cocoa?

Yes

>> Additionally, I cannot seem to get my python plugins working at
>> this point. I have the python console, but the plugins are not
>> functioning, despite updating my install_name_tool post-build
>> stuff. This, I believe, relates back to the unincorporated patch in
>> ticket 1658. I will try applying the patch and see if it helps.
>> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1658
>>
> The Xcode project gets all the install names right, it does the
> install_name_tool step.  I can look at those bugs and see what I can
> do.  The 4-way universal part of #1658 is invalid for the standard
> Qt, since it's not 64bit.  It's also invalid for a 32bit Cocoa
> build, so for now at least see if a 32bit Cocoa build works.

Yes, I was able to apply the changes, although the diff did not match
for one of the files. No change for the plugin functionality, so the
part dealing with lib linking apparently is not working.

Regarding the xcode project, where is the install_name_tool step in
the build process. I'm wondering if I can extrapolate the necessary
steps from a file or output during the build.

Thanks,
John