[Qgis-developer] OSX Snow Leopard update & notes

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Fri Sep 4 12:03:32 EDT 2009

On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:47 PM, John C. Tull wrote:

> On Sep 3, 2009, at 4:12 PM, William Kyngesburye wrote:
>
>> - SIP/PyQt need some fixes, but it's not difficult.  A big problem
>> is that the Python executable is now 64bit (!), but Qt (standard)
>> is still 32bit only, so you need to force it to run 32bits so that
>> SIP and PyQt configuration and tools work properly. (ie pyuic4 is a
>> shell script that runs the pyuic python script)  And the arch
>> command is broken, so it's not simple.
>>
>> When everything is working smoothly, I'll look into Qt Cocoa.
>
> I have been using qt-cocoa, and there are some general issues with
> it, like the loss of text tags when hovering over items in the
> canvas legend. I cannot change text color for text labels in the
> composer, and probably more stuff along those lines.

I guess we need a Mac developer that understands Qt.  I don't know if
Tom has time to do a lot of work (if any) on this.

Are you building Qgis 64bit with Qt Cocoa?

> Additionally, I cannot seem to get my python plugins working at this
> point. I have the python console, but the plugins are not
> functioning, despite updating my install_name_tool post-build stuff.
> This, I believe, relates back to the unincorporated patch in ticket
> 1658. I will try applying the patch and see if it helps.
> https://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1658

The Xcode project gets all the install names right, it does the
install_name_tool step.  I can look at those bugs and see what I can
do.  The 4-way universal part of #1658 is invalid for the standard Qt,
since it's not 64bit.  It's also invalid for a 32bit Cocoa build, so
for now at least see if a 32bit Cocoa build works.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"We are at war with them. Neither in hatred nor revenge and with no
particular pleasure I shall kill every ___ I can until the war is
over. That is my duty."

"Don't you even hate 'em?"

"What good would it do if I did? If all the many millions of people of
the allied nations devoted an entire year exclusively to hating the
____ it wouldn't kill one ___ nor shorten the war one day."

<Ha, ha> "And it might give 'em all stomach ulcers."

- Tarzan, on war