[Qgis-developer] Windows Standalone Install Will Not Run on Freshly Imaged Computers

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Wed Sep 23 14:27:49 EDT 2009

Bruce, Bob (CON) wrote:
> Thanks Frank. You were right!
>
> This begs the question: "Why don't the standalone installers include
> these runtime libraries?"

Bob,

I should leave this to the creators to answer, but I believe it is due
to one or more of the following reasons:

1) It makes the download quite a bit bigger, and the extra stuff is only
ever needed once per machine.

2) It makes the install more complicated - the redistributable is a
separate .exe which must be run.

3) It may not be absolutely clear what the rights are with regard to
redistribution of the runtime (though I'm convinced on a review it would
be fine).

Best regards,