[Qgis-developer] GRASS encoding selection

Maxim Dubinin sim at gis-lab.info
Mon Sep 28 12:36:21 EDT 2009

Hi all and especially non-latin, non-UTF8 users,

I'd like to point to a strange behaviour regarding adding GRASS layers with
different encoding.

Let's say you have a GRASS vector with UTF8 database, you select a
location, add vector layer - all nice, table is readable, life is
good. Now you need to add another table from CP1251 location, you
select location and add layer and hmm... attributes are unreadable.

Now to fix this, we go to Layer\Add vector layer like we add any other (non GRASS layer) and select
CP1251 encoding there, click OK, but don't really load anything just trigger
needed encoding, so no need to actually select a layer.

To summarize: I find this rather unintuitive. Either encoding should
be added to add GRASS vector dialog, or layer encoding should be globally
set or something else.

Am I missing something? Any thoughts?

Maxim