[Qgis-developer] Simplify the download pages

Carson Farmer carson.farmer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 11:56:14 EDT 2010

+1

Just some thoughts,

I think the best way to do things is to make it really easy for *new*
people to find the version they need immediately, and those who are
already using qgis, can click a link or two to get more specific or
more unstable versions. The table is extremely difficult to navigate
(I've just recently be told this by several of my colleagues), and
links to new pages would likely be easier to use. In my opinion,
current version should be right on the download page with links to
windows, linux, and mac right there. Then the LTS version should be a
separate page, with windows, linux, and mac. It would be relatively
easy to also have a 'quick' link which simply downloads the 'Current
Version' for whichever operating system the user is using to access
the page...

Carson

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM, Otto Dassau <otto.dassau at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> maybe Werner can have a look and try to improve the website. Do you have any
> suggestions, what we should concentrate on to make it easier to
> understand, because we already tried to some time ago (probably not very
> successful :() ?
>
> Regards,
>  Otto
>
> Am Mon, 12 Apr 2010 09:07:37 +0200
> schrieb Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>:
>

>> On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 16:09:38 -0700, Alex Mandel
>> <tech_dev at wildintellect.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Based on some feedback I've gotten from some users the download pages
>> > are still too complicated and have too many choices. It's not clear to
>> > anyone but advanced and involved users what the right thing to get is.
>>
>> +1 for me.
>> Thanks Alex for pointing this out.
>> All the best.

Carson J. Q. Farmer
ISSP Doctoral Fellow
National Centre for Geocomputation
National University of Ireland, Maynooth,
http://www.carsonfarmer.com/