[Qgis-user] Re: [Qgis-developer] Simplify the download pages

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Apr 12 12:29:00 EDT 2010

I pushed for that idea the last time we did a major overhaul of the
pages. The problem we have right now though is that the main team
doesn't have a dedicated builder for a Windows Standalone with GRASS/
full python(including gdal-python) so we have to offer most people 2
windows downloads. Also Mac and linux installs are based on specific
versions and also have 2 options(of which frameworks is the preferred,
same way OSGeo4w usually works out better long run for Win). We don't
have universal single binaries so the autodetect business at most would
direct you to the right page but not actually start a download.

So following your idea I agree, put the buttons/link on the download
page and use them to filter the tables to 2-3 choices max maybe with a
drop down to toggle more options. Then simplify the info in the table
with a "more" link to the super details that only the super geeks
understand. On windows a Red link, saying you might also need a file
from Microsoft click to here to read, concerning the whole MSVC runtime.

Maybe that while make it easier, I can always find a few people to test
it on.

Thanks,
Alex