[Qgis-developer] organizing plugins

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Apr 28 03:36:10 EDT 2010

Hi all.
I have been giving several courses on QGIS recently, and I think we got to a point
where the current (dis) organization of plugins is no longer tenable. It is getting
very difficult to find the appropriate menu to start the plugin. the plugin bar is
often too big to fit into a 1280 screen.
Would it be feasible to add a tag <section> (or similar), with values: raster,
vector, web, general (more?) and make separate menus for the various sections? This
seems to me relatively easy, and not invasive. Plugin authors would not be forced to
use it, but all plugins without a tag could go in the "miscellaneous" menu, so
authors would find it advantageous to add the tag so their plugin will fit into the
right menu. I can help with the classification if necessary.
Thoughts?
All the best.