[Qgis-developer] organizing plugins

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Wed Apr 28 08:20:30 EDT 2010

Hi all,

Following the user meeting in Berne we are now doing a user survey. So far
we have 25 responses from the 80 participants.

We will share the complete results later.

Among the results people state that they find the plugins organization
partially confusing. They would expect many of the things that plugins
provide today "out of the box", within the core of QGIS.

Not only once there was a question in the audience - "can I do this and
that" and not only once the answer was "well, there is a plugin that can
do it ..."

Also, the plugin descriptions could often be more meaningful/complete.

I think for an upcoming version (1.6 or 2.0) one should consider
integrating some of the more popular plugins into the core, or delivering
them by default, like we did with fTools.

Andreas

On Wed, April 28, 2010 9:36 am, Paolo Cavallini wrote:
> Hi all.
> I have been giving several courses on QGIS recently, and I think we got to
> a point
> where the current (dis) organization of plugins is no longer tenable. It
> is getting
> very difficult to find the appropriate menu to start the plugin. the
> plugin bar is
> often too big to fit into a 1280 screen.
> Would it be feasible to add a tag <section> (or similar), with values:
> raster,
> vector, web, general (more?) and make separate menus for the various
> sections? This
> seems to me relatively easy, and not invasive. Plugin authors would not be
> forced to
> use it, but all plugins without a tag could go in the "miscellaneous"
> menu, so
> authors would find it advantageous to add the tag so their plugin will fit
> into the
> right menu. I can help with the classification if necessary.
> Thoughts?
> All the best.
> --
> Paolo Cavallini: http://www.faunalia.it/pc