[Qgis-developer] PostGIS plugins menu

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Sun Aug 15 05:59:14 EDT 2010

My suggestion for now is to put everything to a PostGIS submenu within the
Plugins menu:

self.iface.addPluginToMenu('PostGIS', actionBlahBlah)

Then we can modify the QgsInterface.addPluginToMenu method to put each submenu
either to the Plugins branch or to the main menu, so each user can configure
which plugin sumbenus are at hand. It's a five-minuts-fix to read it from
QSettings (still without any GUI for configuring it, but it's a step forward).

The third step is the GUI. I started refactoring the Installer (just three
hours per month, so it's why no changes are commited) and with Martin and Anne
we plan to put it as a second tab of the manager. What about a third tab
"menus and toolbars", when an user can be able to:

1. Select whether given submenu (e.g. PostGIS) goes to the main menu or the
Plugins menu
2. Select whether given submenu creates its own toolbar or goes to the main
Plugin toolbar.
3. Compose own toolbar(s) with a set of individual plugin buttons. It allows
to hide the native plugin toolbar and enable personalized ones, like "Monday's
tasks", "Tools useful for X-files processing etc"
4. Save/load profiles (at least sets of plugins to be loaded - now I often
have to use --noplugins option to make qgis faster)

What do you think? The first two steps can be done in a moment.