[Qgis-developer] Integration of QGIS mapserver to svn?

Richard Duivenvoorde rdmailings at duif.net
Sat Aug 21 10:45:42 EDT 2010

Marco Hugentobler wrote:
> Hi all
>
> The QGIS mapserver project implements a WMS server on top of the QGIS
> libraries (funded by the EU projects Orchestra, Sany and the city of Uster).
>
> With the recent additions in the QGIS mapserver project, the server is now
> very convenient to use and to configure. Jürgen therefore suggested to include
> the server code directly into the QGIS subversion repository, and I too think
> this is a good idea.
>
> The patch that includes the integration is attached to ticket 2959,
> http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/2959 (thanks to Jürgen Fischer and Pirmin
> Kalberer!).
> The mapserver introduces one new dependency (libfcgi), but it is optional and
> the mapserver will just not be built without it.
>
> What is your opinion about an integration?

Hi Marco,

+5 ;-)

I already tried the git version a few months ago, and I think it's
really really promising!

A good/easy configurable mapserver was really missing in the foss4g
landscape.

The 'QGIS mapserver' should make it easy for people/governments to use
qgis to easily deploy maps on inter/intranet sites! What I see now that
governents often decide to use arcgisserver just because the few people
around knowing how to style a map can do that only in arcgis... The step
from a mxd to a map- or sld-file is often too big...

You are showing it off in barcelona don't you?

By the way should you not give it an more 'snappier' name, so there is
no confusion with (minnesota) mapserver or the 'QGIS mapserver plugin'?
Paolo (as our 'marketing'-hotshot) any comments on this?
... Qserver.... Qgisserver .... (mmq, qmapper already used ...)..
Quantumserver, Quantumserver ... whatever

Regards,

Richard Duivenvoorde