[Qgis-developer] Integration of QGIS mapserver to svn?

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Aug 23 16:25:27 EDT 2010

Hi

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:08 PM, Andreas Neumann <a.neumann at carto.net> wrote:
>  +0 for QGIS Server and +1 for QGIS Mobile.
>
> While I like "QGIS Server" as a name, there may be different "QGIS Servers"
> in the future? Maybe a QGIS WFS server? Or a QGIS WPS or geoprocessing
> server? Or a QGIS printserver?

Wouldnt they all be the same server just with different service type
requests? Would be nicer than needing to deploy 4 server binaries....

> I would see "QGIS Server" as a family of upcoming potential servers and
> "QGIS WMS server" for the great work that Marco just did. I also still like
> "QGIS Mapserver" or "QGIS Webmap Server" which actually describes what it is
> - serving styled maps for web-connected devices and applications.

I love how we discuss names more than the actual thing Marco made :-)
For those who are interested, here is a quick guide to getting
started:

http://linfiniti.com/2010/08/qgis-mapserver-a-wms-server-for-the-masses/
(docs team you are welcome to reappropriate that for the next manual
if it is useful to you...)

Regards

Tim

> Any other opinions?
> Andreas
>
> On 8/23/10 6:07 PM, Tim Sutton wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> QGIS Server gets a +1 from me too.....maybe we should call 'QGIS'
>> 'QGIS Desktop' now too.
>>
>> Regards
>>
>> Tim
>>

>> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 6:02 PM, MORREALE Jean Roc
>> <jr.morreale at enoreth.net>  wrote:

>>> I have to admit that I didn't gave a try previously because I thought it
>>> was
>>> MapServer embedded into QGIS
>>>
>>> I would go with QGIS Server so the filiation and the purpose are
>>> explicit.
>>> Let's build on the QGIS's brand !

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services