[Qgis-developer] HTML manual

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Sun Aug 29 13:37:23 EDT 2010

Please don't hijack thread as it make harder to follow the discussion.

Le 29/08/2010 16:56, Noli Sicad a écrit :
> I hope QGIS has html user manual aside from pdf manual.
>
> It offers quick and easy access to what you need rather than
> downloading the whole pdf which is quite big (e.g. 2 Mb) because of
> the screenshots and figures. If you are user in the developing
> countries or with a slow internet connection you don't want to
> download this pdf manuals if it is bigger than 1 Mb.

An html version of the latex manual is on my ToDo-list but it isn't as
simple as I expected. A latex version without any figures can be
compiled easily if needed.

> Html / website user manual promotes / offers visibility of the
> project as well for example uDig has friendly manuals. Aside from it,
> it is harder to read pdf manual when the manual has more than 10
> pages.

The embedded pdf bookmarks are a killer feature, that and being able to
drop a pdf on a usb key with the certitude that my technicians will be
able to open it.

> Probably we should consider Wiki Book /Wiki for QGIS, so users can
> contribute as well. The QGIS plugins need documentation.

I'm all for it, the easiness of the contribution would be a definite
and mediawiki (at least the one used by osgeo.org) allows to print a pdf.

But I'll not be the one doing the port :p