[Qgis-developer] symbol levels with rule based rendering

Mayeul Kauffmann mayeul.kauffmann at free.fr
Sat Dec 25 16:45:15 EST 2010

Hi Tim,
Thanks for your question.
I believe this was already the aim the the rule based renderer which was
created some time ago.
I have worked with it to try and mimic what mapnik and osmarender are
doing with openstreetmap data. As a matter of fact, OSM data is so rich
that you can do very different maps for very different types of users;
in addition, I cannot think of a richer public dataset, so it is a got
dataset to make tests and experiments. Working with data with national
datasets (currently Italy.osm planet extract) I came up with a few ideas
to improve the current renderer; this would in effect allow every one to
have his/her *own* ideal map, easily. I believe this really shows the
power of freedom that free software and free data can bring.
Thanks again for your comments.
Merry christmas!
Regards,
Mayeul