[Qgis-developer] Re: Renderer improvements masked for mac

John C. Tull john.tull at wildnevada.org
Sun Jan 3 20:05:40 EST 2010

Hi Marco,

On Jan 3, 2010, at 1:15 AM, Marco Hugentobler wrote:

> Hi John
>
> The incremental update was disabled because of update problems when resizing
> the main window of QGIS on Mac. I tested it on a Mac at university and as far
> as I remember, there was a difference with painting events coming from Qt that
> caused the problems.
>
> Could you test if this still is true? For testing, take out the ifdefs in
> qgsoptions.cpp and also in qgsvectorlayer.cpp. Then take a large vector layer
> that is updated several times. Start drawing and while it draws, resize the
> QGIS window several times. Then do the same also with WMS layers.

Apparently I only tested the raster-related portion of the fix; I was not aware of the code in qgsvectorlayer.cpp. Removing that code does create some problems with qt-4.5.3. I'm going to download and try qt-4.6.0 and will report back on that if it works -- ok, tested that and it does not work any differently with 4.6.0.

> If there is no problem with it any more, I will be happy to remove the ifdefs,
> as I like the incremental render updates very much too.

I suggest that we remove the mask in qgsoptions.cpp because it brings the raster speedups and there is no apparent cost to other functions. The raster caching makes a huge difference for me. I cannot comment on the quality of the vector improvements as I have not really tested it yet.

Cheers,
John