[Qgis-developer] Web mapping framework?

Zoran Jankovic zoran.jankovic at zisis.hr
Thu Jan 14 11:11:51 EST 2010

Hi list,
A little bit offtopic, but I promise I'll mention QGIS as well :-).
I'm starting out a relatively small GIS project (read: no money involved,
for at least next 6 months :-)). I've got the desktop part covered, GIS
applications are nothing new to me (10+ years of experience), but we are
interested in a web component as well.
This web GIS component would be more for show than for real hevy-load
usage... Layer on/off and some attribute searching capability are a must, of
course...
What I have now is QGIS, mainly shapefiles (still waiting for conversion to
PostGIS...) created from DXF and TIFFs.
I looked into Mapserver and Geoserver, and I'm kind of inclined to use
Mapserver because of an existing GQIS plugin. But there are several
"frameworks" I came accross googling: Mapfish, Geoext, worldKit, not to
mention stuff that seems not to be developed any more, like Fusion,
Chameleon, ka-Map!, etc, etc

What are you using? Any recommendations, caveats? If I had time I would test
a couple and share the results, but - time is money, and no money is
involved (for now) in this project :(.

Best regards,

---
Zoran Jankovic
ZIS-Izrada softvera i savjetovanje / ZIS - Software Development and
Consulting

http://www.zisis.hr

M: 00 385 98 682 902
T:  00 385 44 683 374