[Qgis-developer] Re: [QGIS Commit] r13951 - in trunk/qgis: python/core src/app src/core

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 04:05:50 EDT 2010

Hi William,

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 3:57 PM, William Kyngesburye
<woklist at kyngchaos.com> wrote:
> So, I have been interested for a while in the possibility to set a different path more appropriate for the system, like the user application data folder on Windows and the user application support folder on OS X.
>
> Bummer, looks like this update is just for setting the path at runtime, which is not really possible, or at least difficult, to do for the OS X application (you just don't normally start applications with switches, but you can from a Terminal, yuck).
>
> I found this patch ticket for compiling in a system-specific default.
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/qgis/ticket/1442
>
> It only has a Windows default, but a Mac default should be easy to add.  I wonder if it could be combined with this runtime switch change?

If there are no objections from other developers, I think for qgis 1.6
we can alter the qgis user settings directories per platform as
follows:
- unix: ~/.qgis (as before)
- win: ~/Application Data/qgis
- mac: ~/Library/Application Support/QGIS

I just wonder how much this will confuse users as with the upgrade to
1.6 they will loose their locally installed plugins, custom styles,
CRS and some other stuff...

Regards
Martin