[Qgis-developer] Qt development on Gnome

Ivan Mincik ivan.mincik at gista.sk
Thu Jun 3 11:22:38 EDT 2010

On Thursday 03 June 2010, Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 06/02/2010 12:27 PM, Ivan Mincik wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I would like to ask if somebody is using Gnome desktop for
> > using/developing QGIS and plugins?
> > I don't want to make any KDE/Gnome flame war. My company is using KDE
> > desktop since Debian Etch. Now using KDE 3.5 on Lenny and it fits our
> > needs really well.
> > Currently we are making decision, what kind of desktop to use when
> > Debian Squeeze will come out and we are not very excited of KDE 4. I
> > think, Gnome will be our choice. Question is, if we are not going to
> > loose some quality in terms of Qt and QGIS ?
> >
> > I have one example: I was trying to create some UI dialog in Qt
> > Creator in Gnome and I had strong feeling, that the widget look was
> > still really different than in KDE (also in preview). So, how can I be
> > sure, that UI  dialog will be OK in KDE or in windows. Also QGIS
> > widgets and look and feel is quite different, so I can not make any
> > serious tests.
> >

> > What is Your point of view ?

> I develop QGIS plugins on Ubuntu using Gnome and occasionally test them
> on windows xp. I haven't noticed any real difference besides the color
> scheme and shape of the outside of dialogs.
>
> Qt is Qt, building the dialogs in Gnome or KDE isn't going to change the
> fact that it's Qt, just stick with defaults and autosizing and stay away
> from very custom nit picky placement of things.
>
> It's good practice to leave all the sorting of widgets to layouts and
> spacers anyways.
>
> FYI, you could always log out and log into KDE to check the look, or
> pull up a windows virtual machine to verify things are ok. While I use
> gnome most of the time several of my machines are capable of switching
> to XFCE and KDE whenever I feel like it, just takes a little more hard
> drive space (as long as you continue to run gdm, if you switch to kdm
> then you get extra processes too).

Thanks a lot for Your ideas.
I do not like idea to install multiple window managers on one machine. Currently I am playing with some possibilities to
configure Qt widgets without installing half of KDE 4.
I have found settings which seems to fit my needs. Maybe in Ubuntu, this configuration is by default.

For others, this was done on my testing Debian Squeeze machine
1. Install 'kdebase-runtime' (it will bring lot of dependencies, maybe some can be uninstalled after)
2. Configure Clearlooks as Your theme in Gnome
3. Run 'qtconfig' and set GUI style: Desktop Settings
4. run 'kwriteconfig --file kdeglobals --group General --key widgetStyle gtk'

Ivan

--
Ivan Mincik