[Qgis-developer] Student Projects

Andrew Dalgleish metafedora at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 01:43:29 EDT 2010

Hi qGIS dev's,

I'm a graduate student in the geography and geospatial sciences at the
University of Texas in Dallas
This summer I must complete an independent study project for a GIS workshop.
Through out the year we worked mostly with ESRI products, but since I am a
programmer in my day job, I figured it would be a great opportunity to
contribute to open source.

A few of the GSoC projects <
http://www.qgis.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code_2010> piqued my interest and
I was wondering if anyone knows the status of these, and if it would be
acceptable to proceed with them as project topics

==Raster reproject on the fly==
I found a few papers on fast computation methods for geodetic coordinates.
 I would need to find a variety of raster data sets with which to test the
performance and accuracy of the methods.

==Time Series Visualization==
  I had been wanting to do some work in this area, since I find it
interesting.  At my day job, we use tracking software on some of our
employees, so I have access to real-world data with which to test.

I will start by reviewing all the documentation and submit some patches per
the Welcome Pack.
But if someone can reply and just let me know if either of these seem like
valuable contributions, then I can run them by my workshop coordinator
before writing a proposal.

Thank-you for your help!

Andrew