[Qgis-developer] The new QGIS plugin repo

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 18:22:36 EDT 2010

Hello PSC and other interested devs ;)

As we spoken a few days ago, we need the PSC decision for a few questions:

1. Do we go on at all? :)

2. Where to put the svn?
    a) branch of the existing qgis svn
    b) a separate svn on osgeo
    c) pyqgis.org (on the present server)
    d) on osgeo and park the pyqgis.org domain there
    e) yet another idea?

3. In case if pyqgis.org doesn't host the svn, where to put the output
repository.xml?
    a) on osgeo only
    b) on osgeo, and make a proxy on pyqgis.org
    c) the script on osgeo uploads all onto pyqgis.org

As soon as we find answers for the questions, we can go on:

- set up the repository, the script, triggers for releasing etc.
- replace the present repository.xml on pyqgis.org
- write a short svn tutorial for plugin authors
- request authors to move their plugins to the svn

From this point, qgis will use the new repository (if we keep the url on
pyqgis.org) and the author repositories will be redundant. When only most
authors move to the svn, I'll release the Installer update with shortened
plugin list. Necessary strings went to i18n files already.

Then will be time for better permission system (initially I can manage
permissions manually) and further improvements: keywords, categories, ratings
etc.

As we're freezing tomorrow, I think it makes no sense to adjust the Installer
to the new urls now and then start to implement all this stuff and try to
manage on the release time :)

B.