[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-community-team] GUI translation

Borys Jurgiel borysiasty at aster.pl
Sat Mar 20 07:54:05 EDT 2010

Dnia sobota, 20 marca 2010 o 12:39:47 Martin Dobias napisał(a):
> Hi Borys
>
> On Sat, Mar 20, 2010 at 11:59 AM, Borys Jurgiel <borysiasty at aster.pl> wrote:
> > Dnia piątek, 19 marca 2010 o 19:04:28 Zoran Jankovic napisał(a):
> >> +1 for the plugins.
> >
> > Obviously they should be translated, but the question is how to do it.
> >
> > One idea is to create an additional set of .ts files for plugins (to
> > avoid a mess in the main files). Somebody (probably me... ;) ) would
> > then systematically review all plugins and grab strings from
> > translateable ones. By 'translateable' plugins I especially mean those
> > containing identifable class names (=translation contexts), so it's
> > necessary to control them manually. Otherwise we would achieve a big
> > bunch of strings mixed together in irrational contexts ;)
>
> maybe I'm missing something, but isn't pylupdate4 utility there for
> extracting the translatable strings from python sources?

There is, of course. I only mean that someone has to prior choose plugins
which won't make a mess in the ts files.

For translators it is essential to know where each string comes from (at least
from which plugin). QtLinguist uses class names for grouping strings into so
called "contexts". It works perfectly as long class names are unique and
meaningful, as QgsPluginNameDialogName.

In practice, many authors uses class names like QMyDialog, so grabbing strings
from such plugins would create a huge context QMyDialog containing strings
from dozens of plugins. It makes translators shooting in the dark :)