[Qgis-developer] CRS for a start

Milena Nowotarska do.milenki at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 18:01:51 EDT 2010

Hi All,

I guess that many users work not only with WGS84 projection (which is
set by default in QGIS) so I would like to discuss with you a change
in QGIS behaviour on loading a layer.

In my opinion it would be good if QGIS:
a) set the projection for a project file/working environment from the
first loaded layer if it has the projection information
b) prompt for projection information if the layer does not have it
c) inform in a popup window when the projection of next loaded layers
do not match the projection already set in the working environment
(when reprojection on the fly is not ticked)

Now, as I personally use metric reference systems (2180, 2176, 2177),
every time I open a layer, I have to set the proper CRS and, on the
other tab change units from degrees to meters. If I forget to do that,
I will get strange scale and strange measurement output.
At least the change form geographic to metric projection should force
the change of units. Otherwise we won't be able to say that QGIS is
user friendly ;)

What in your opinion should be the most expected behaviour in a good GIS system?

I mean in QGIS I can open now a holiday photo, go to layer properties
and get an impresion from it's metadata, that it is already
georeferenced:
"Layer Spatial Reference System:
+proj=longlat +ellps=WGS84 +datum=WGS84 +no_defs"
which is of course not true. But we have to think about novice GIS
users who might either go dizzy or get bad habits.

Best,
Milena

--
Milena Nowotarska