[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] CRS for a start

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Mar 21 21:34:14 EDT 2010

On 03/21/2010 04:05 PM, Milena Nowotarska wrote:
> Hi Maxim,
>
> 2010/3/21 Maxim Dubinin <sim at gis-lab.info>:
>> Hi
>>
>> I agree that some improvements can be made, but I'd suggest to make
>> some of the suggested ones configurable through Settings.
>
>> MN> a) set the projection for a project file/working environment from the
>> MN> first loaded layer if it has the projection information
>> Yes, if such behavior is wanted by QGIS user and certain checkbox is
>> "on" in Settings. I would avoid making this decision for the user
>> automatically. So default - "off".
>
> +1 and ticked once should stay default for further use
>>
>> MN> b) prompt for projection information if the layer does not have it
>> No. This will slow down work for those who just want to see the data
>> or make some quick edits. Again, this can be configurable in a)
>> fasion.
>>
>> MN> c) inform in a popup window when the projection of next loaded layers
>> MN> do not match the projection already set in the working environment
>> MN> (when reprojection on the fly is not ticked)
>> +1
>>
>> MN> Now, as I personally use metric reference systems (2180, 2176, 2177),
>> MN> every time I open a layer, I have to set the proper CRS.
>> Why don't you create a prj file then?
>
> I do have prj for these layers, but layer prj do not affect QGIS
> environment in any way now.
>
> Milena

This sounds like a bug that's been irritating me for a while where prj
files seemed to be ignored a lot of the time. Possibly because OGR can't
read it (ESRI created prj are known to cause issues occasionally).
Maybe the code for that needs to be a little more robust in error
handling, and I agree with the idea to mark a layer as undefined(assumed
geographic) if it's prj isn't readable - maybe even say the prj read was
attempted but didn't work in the metadata tab.

All good suggestions if they are user configurable and the default is to
be as intrusive as possible.

Alex