[Qgis-developer] plugin's menu organization

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Sun Mar 28 16:42:43 EDT 2010

Borys Jurgiel wrote:
> Dnia niedziela, 28 marca 2010 o 22:10:11 Micha Silver napisał(a):
>
>> As I see it, QGIS offers two somewhat unique advantages: first, the
>> basic installation is quite easy to get into for new (and even
>> experienced) users. It doesn't overwhelm you like other GIS software.
>> But on the other hand, thru the plugin's you get access to a huge set of
>> GIS tools. In order to maintain these good qualities:
>> - the base installation (core features) should stay as clean as
>> possible, without mixing plugin menus into the core menus
>> - plugins should add their own buttons and/or menus (like now) but with
>> the addition of categorization, as Borys says. Thus all plugins that
>> deal with PostGIS should be in the same menu or toolbar; all plugins
>> that interact with GPS in the same menu, raster tools together (already
>> partly done), the R plugins under one menu, etc...
>> Just my 2 cents worth from a user's perspective.
>
> But do you think they should be added to the native menus (all plugins below
> the native commands) or to completely separate menus?

Completely seperate plugin section, otherwise when you turn on a plugin
you'll have no idea where it is. An exception to this would be if the
Manage plugins where you go to activate them had tabs with the same
names, that would clearly indicate where you should find the plugin once
it's turned on.

Thanks,
Alex