[Qgis-developer] PyQGIS cookbook

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Thu May 6 04:50:17 EDT 2010

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 1:58 PM, G. Allegri <giohappy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Martin, this is a great thing!
> I fully agree with this effort, and I hope to contribute somehow, even
> if I've started to develop with Qgis since a few weeks, and I'm mostly
> directed to learn "how do I" in C++. Maybe the two languages could go
> in parallel, similar to the docs for gdal/ogr api tutorials [1]. Ok,
> one thing at a time :)

Sincerely, I think we should focus primarily on Python - considering
that there are many more developers using Python than C++. I believe
the syntax can easily translated from Python to C++ and vice versa
with just very basic knowledge of the other language - so I'd like to
avoid writing the samples for both languages. The further advantage of
Python code samples is that Python is less verbose, so one can better
concentrate on the API. Additionally, in my opinion we should
concentrate on Python since the entry barrier is lower and the
distribution of plugins is much easier.

Of course, I don't mind including a chapter on C++ specifics.

Regards
Martin