[Qgis-developer] Printed user manual

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Sun Nov 14 11:19:09 EST 2010

On November 14, 2010 06:32:23 am Alex Mandel wrote:
> On 11/14/2010 02:56 AM, Pirmin Kalberer wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We discussed the possibility to use a print on demand service for
> > producing printed user manuals. Here are a few sites to check out:
> >
> > Multilingual:
> > * www.lulu.com
> >
> > English only:
> > * www.blurb.com
> > * www.bookriff.com
> > * www.fastpencil.com
> >
> > German only:
> > * www.bod.de
> > * www.epubli.de
> > * www.grin.com
> > * www.readbox.net
> > * www.tredition.de
> >
> > Are thery any recommendations?
> >
> > Regards
> > Pirmin
>
> Previous OSGeo Journals have been done on lulu.com
> http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=2637542
> Though there's no reason it can't be uploaded to multiple places other
> than someone remembering that.
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

I find lulu quite expensive but at least you can get a quote on the price
pretty quickly.  I compared it to some local printers and the cost was the
same for a very short run, once I included shipping.

I've been researching print on demand options for a while now and am possibly
setting up a personal publishing account with a full service provider.  Two in
particular: http://printondemand-worldwide.com and http://lightningsource.com
- they are not geared toward authors as much as they are toward publishers.

It takes some cash to get set up in Lightning source but looks like you can
get some really good reach for pretty low price.  Of course, if you just want
to push it out there and tell your friends about it, then lulu might be just
fine.  It's not hard to use.

If you want to do more with it (e.g. work together to maybe make some $) then
drop me a note and we can discuss more ideas.

Tyler

Tyler Mitchell
Executive Director, OSGeo
tmitchell at osgeo.org
+1-250-303-1831
See you at FOSS4 2011 Denver in September!