[Qgis-developer] Way forward: QGIS plugin repo, plugin Trac etc.

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Mon Nov 15 06:45:08 EST 2010

Hi all

There has been a lot of discussion about the way forward for plugins,
the plugin repository, plugin source management and plugin issue
tracking / bug reporting in the last few weeks. Sitting in the same
room for the last few days, we have also been able to go into more
detail about our requirements. We would like to summarise our
requirements and plans and get things going. So here is the synopsis:

1) We will set up a django instance on the QGIS.org virtual machine
(using a python vitual environment) for building the new QGIS Plugin
Repository.
2) The code for the repository will be managed via GIT and is hosted
on github. If you need write access, please provide me with your
github user name. Details for the repo here:

https://github.com/timlinux/qgis-django

3) The management of issues for the repository itself will be done
using github infrastructure.
4) For the plugins themselves, we are going to request that OSGEO SAC
provide us with a trac instance dedicated for plugin bugs. It should
be configured to authenticate users via LDAP so that existing OSGEO
users will not need to create another account.
5) For the management of plugin source code, plugin authors will have
the option of hosting their own project code (e.g. on github,
sourceforge etc).
6) For plugin authors who wish to use an 'official' source repository,
we will put in an OSGEO SAC request to set up an SVN instance for QGIS
plugins. We will provide liberal access to that repository and
existing user name/passwords can be used. Plugins hosted in this repo
will be able to be maintained by QGIS developers should they need
fixing and the original author is no longer available.

Following this email we will post OSGEO SAC requests for the above
mentioned SVN and Trac instances and get going.

I have created a wiki page that we can use to document the setup and
procedures for plugin-repository authors and plugin writers here:

http://www.qgis.org/wiki/PluginRepository

We will use the same QGIS-Django project to include future work such
as reinstating the users map, creating the certification system web
site and so on.

If you are interested and able to collaborate with the django project
development please let us know and add yourself to the wiki page.

Thanks!

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux