[Qgis-developer] Release plans for QGIS 1.6

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Sat Oct 16 15:07:10 EDT 2010

Hi

On Sat, Oct 16, 2010 at 8:09 PM, Jürgen E. <jef at norbit.de> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> On Sat, 16. Oct 2010 at 01:42:54 +0200, Tim Sutton wrote:
>> We (the PSC) recently received a threat of legal action against our
>> use of the word 'Tethys' in the naming of the 1.5 release of QGIS.
>> It seems that the word Tethys is trademarked by a company in one country.
>> Although we feel their case is weak, we do not have the time, money or
>> inclination to engage in a legal battle over this.
>
> Does OSGeo have a position on this?  I thought the OSGeo umbrella was also
> covering legal support.
>
> Just curious - that would probably be a waste of time of resources anyway.

Ok Frank covered that. And yeah we should pick our battles...

>> This has a few implications:
>
>> - The PSC has agreed to stop using planetary moons as the names for
>> our releases, and embark on a new theme of using extremely obscure
>> place names (e.g. the mythical Tweebuffelsmeteenskootgeskietfontein in
>> South Africa).
>
> Do we need codenames at all?   Any name - obscure or not - could be a
> trademark.

*sniff* lose the release names? That would be no fun....should we let
big corporations take away our fun? :-P

But yeah theoretically we don't need them, though personally I'd like
to continue with them...

Regards

Tim

> Jürgen
>
> --
> Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20
> Dipl.-Inf. (FH)           Rheinstraße 13            Fax. +49-4931-918175-50
> Software Engineer         D-26506 Norden               http://www.norbit.de
>
> --
> norBIT Gesellschaft fuer Unternehmensberatung und Informationssysteme mbH
> Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden
> GF: Jelto Buurman, HR: Amtsgericht Emden, HRB 5502

 * QGIS programming and support services
 * FOSS Consulting Services
Skype: timlinux
Irc: timlinux on #qgis at freenode.net