[Qgis-developer] The new QGIS plugin repo

Pirmin Kalberer pi_ml at sourcepole.com
Thu Oct 21 04:08:03 EDT 2010

Am Donnerstag, 21. Oktober 2010, um 00.46:19 schrieb Martin Dobias:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM, Paolo Cavallini <cavallini at faunalia.it>
wrote:
> > Il 21/08/2010 10:06, Tim Sutton ha scritto:
> >> Just a PSC perspecitive note on this, I think it will be useful when
> >> discussions are complete to simply summarise discussions and submit
> >> that summary as a proposal to the PSC for approval. In general the
> >> requirements (SVN, plugin specific access controls etc) are all doable
> >> but probably not easily on osgeo infrastructure due to the high admin
> >> load it will incurr. So an option would be to host the svn repo
> >> withing the QGIS.org VM.
> >>
> >> I was wondering as well if this isnt a good place to start our first
> >> steps in using GIT?
> >
> > Hi all.
> > Am I the only one to perceive the need for a plugin trac+svn (or git)?
> > If we decide we need it, it would be much better to have it in place
> > before the hackfest, so we can start hacking around it in Wroklaw.
>
> I completely agree that having an infrastructure for easy development
> and bug tracking for plugins would help the authors with deployment
> and cooperation.
>
> Still I see several issues that have to be resolved in order to have
> the repository working. Let's concentrate on the idea of having SVN
> repository for the plugins. The repository would automatically update
> its XML file with the list of available plugins. Some of the important
> questions:
> - what users should be granted write access to this SVN?
> - who would manage the permissions to the individual plugins?
> - should we require all plugins to be within this SVN repository or
> allow 'external' ones?
> - how to deal with official/contributed plugins?
>
> There were also thoughts about introducing an infrastructure that
> would enable to count number of downloads and user ratings - this
> would probably require development of a web application that would
> present this information.
>
> We should maybe have a look around how other projects deal with the
> infrastructure and security model for plugins - Firefox, KDE etc.

Firefox has a central distribution site, but no central SCM AFAIK.
KDE has recently set up a new git based infrastructure
(http://community.kde.org/Sysadmin/GitFAQ). They're running a Redmine site
http://projects.kde.org/ collecting the subprojects.
The Ruby community has a central distribution site (http://rubygems.org/) with
a very easy upload mechanism (http://rubygems.org/pages/gem_docs)

My proposal would be to start with a github account as a central SCM for
QGIS plugins. Similar to http://github.com/grails-plugins
(http://grails.org/plugin/home) e.g. Write access can then still be granted
per-plugin.
Having Redmine would give the advantage of having sub-projects. Organizing
plugins as sub-projects means, that each plugin has their own trac-like site
but tickets are also collected on master-project level (e.g. qgis-plugins).

Regards
Pirmin

--
Pirmin Kalberer
Sourcepole  -  Linux & Open Source Solutions