[Qgis-developer] Bringing the raster processing algorithms of the Orfeo Toolbox Monteverdi in QGIS

Manuel GRIZONNET manuel.grizonnet at cnes.fr
Thu Sep 2 05:42:14 EDT 2010

Hi all,

I am a member of the Orfeo Toolbox Team ( http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/
) and since last year some developments have been made to try to bring
some OTB functionalities inside Quantum GIS.

Some OTB plugins (C++) have been develop and there are also developments
around the integration of  the Monteverdi application as a Qgis plugin.
Monteverdi is an integrated application allowing to create a complete
processing (ortho-rectification, segmentation, classification, etc.). It
allows building processing chains by selecting modules from a set of
menus. It supports raster and vector data and it is based on  already
existing OTB filters. Also the architecture takes advantage of the
streaming and multi-threading capabilities of the OTB pipeline (
http://www.orfeo-toolbox.org/otb/monteverdi.html. )

The current OTB-QGIS plugins (as of August 2010) rely on writing the
data on the disk after processing before reopening it to be available in
QGIS. The goal is to provide now directly the result of the processing
without going thought disk writing.

The proposed architecture is to develop an otbprovider in QGIS modeled
after the WMSProvider to be able  to add a streamed otb raster layer in
the Qgis viewer. That's the difficult part...Our provider do not work
for now but I think that we're not too far from a solution!
(Technically, there is perhap's the need to define a specific method
AddRasterLayer for otb layers inside the QgisInterface class...But we
need to discuss first with members of the qgis team who will have a more
complete vision of the internal Qgis architecture of data providers...)

By the way, we'll present the Orfeo Toolbox and the latest developments
around the library at FOSS4G2010 in Barcelona next week:
http://2010.foss4g.org/presentations_show.php?id=3655

We will be glad to discuss with QGIS developers about these topics
during the conference!

The source code of this project, based on the Orfeo Toolbox can be found
here : http://hg.orfeo-toolbox.org/OTB-Qgis-plugins/
Informations and current state of developments can also be found on our
wiki : http://wiki.orfeo-toolbox.org/index.php/Quantum_GIS_plugins

Best regards,

Manuel

--