[Qgis-developer] Matplotlib-dependent plugins and OSGeo4W

Benoit de Cabissole benoit at exigesa.com
Thu Sep 16 11:27:00 EDT 2010

Hi All OSGeo4W users/developers,

If you are like me, you cannot run any of the plugins that are dependent on
the matplotlib module.
Each time I install such a plugin I've got an error telling me that a
dependency is missing: tkinter.

I've just realised that the default 'gui backend' in the OSGeo4W matplotlib
is tkinter, but tkinter is not installed and not available (AFAIK) in
OSGeo4W!

The solution, change the default 'gui backend' from tkinter to qt4. Here is
how:

1) copy the file 'matplotlibrc' from
"C:\...\OSGeo4W\apps\python25\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\mpl-data" to
"C:\Documents and Settings\--your user name here--\.matplotlib

2) edit the above file and change the line 31 from:
    backend      : TkAgg
to:
    backend      : Qt4Agg

3) restart QGIS and install a matplotlib-dependant plugin. It should work.
I've tested with Lionel Roubeyrie's contour plugin and could, at last,
generate contours from shapefile points!

Hope the above is of some help!

Cheers,
Benoit

P.S. If an OSGeo4W maintainer reads this could you please change the default
gui backend to QT4?