[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] export in KML

Paolo Cavallini cavallini at faunalia.it
Wed Sep 22 08:28:58 EDT 2010

Il 21/09/2010 23:27, Volker Fröhlich ha scritto:

> I wrote to the GDAL ML (http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/gdal-dev/2010-
> August/025800.html), but the results are a bit unclear:
>
> Whilst one argued, KML would not map well to OGR, one suggested it might be
> the driver. We planned to compile GDAL with libkml to see if it would change
> the situation. That sadly didn't come into existence in Fedora, because our
> libkml was outdated and there was also a license issue. GDAL's packager was
> busy as well -- so no results from our side yet.

Hi Volker.
Thanks for helping me to understand. So if I understand it correctly, the internal
GDAL KML writer is buggy, and should better be replaced by libkml. What are the
licencing issues? AFAIK libkml is BSD, more or less like GDAL.
If this is so, the issue is mainly a packager one, am I wrong?
All the best.