[Qgis-developer] QGIS - French Ministry of Environment

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Sun Sep 26 16:15:18 EDT 2010

  Hi Jean,

Thank you for this interesting information. I understand that the
decision is still pending but that there is a positive attitude towards
QGIS.

As far as labeling/annotation features, there had been recent
improvements in the trunk. And there will be more. This work is funded
from the cities of Uster and Thun in Switzerland. The recent
improvements are around data-defined text properties (font-family, size,
color, rotation, offsets (vertical and horizontal), etc) - basically
porting the old data-defined settings to the new label engine.

Marco will also soon start work on manual label placement with the
option of having different anchor points (aligned with the Swiss
Interlis text placement). This would potentially also be useful for MEEDDM.

Are you aware that annotations also exist in newer QGIS versions? This
was funded by the Kanton of Solothurn. I don't know if the current
annotations satisfy your needs, but it is worth exploring. The
annotations as they are implemented currently are stored in the project
file, not in a separate layer. You probably want the annotation layer
type - but I think that this will be covered by the work mentioned in
the paragraph above. Please let us know your requirements regarding
labeling/annotation - Marco is currently working on them, and maybe your
requirements could be taken care of at the same time.

The Swiss QGIS users are coordinating QGIS development and sharing the
funding efforts as well. We collaborate with the companies Sourcepole
(Marco Hugentobler, Pirmin Kalberer) and Norbit (Jürgen Fischer). If you
are interested, we can also do more international
collaboration/coordination. Of course a lot of issues could be discussed
on the mailinglists, but there could be meetings as well, maybe also at
an upcoming Hackfest, or separate.

In my opinion, new features can be included quite fast into QGIS, if
funding/financing can be organized. Often faster than with commercial
software. Some coordination should be done to avoid double or triple
efforts (same feature developed several times by different parties) and
to maximize the benefits from the financial contributions.

Please keep us informed about the upcoming decision/plans of MEEDDM.

Andreas