[Qgis-developer] QGIS - French Ministry of Environment

MORREALE Jean Roc jr.morreale at enoreth.net
Mon Sep 27 14:30:06 EDT 2010

Hi Andreas,

I'm following trunk (svn junkie) so during this meeting I've shown up
the label properties panel and it was appreciated but this is not the
excepted functionnality. These "annotations" are text objects and do not
derivate from an attribute, the user can manualy modify their font size,
their oritentation, etc. It is a feature available in MapInfo (ArcGIS
too) and users are expecting it. This isn't the best way to label a map
but even with the huge improvements brough by PAL/labelv2 (even if it
isn't ready to replace the old yet), manual editing is often required to
get a correct output.

The development done by the MEEDDM was a way for some technical persons
to get their hands into the PyQGIS API and a mean to know how easy it
would be to make these changes. They want a deskop GIS that can evolve
and can be modified, both things MapInfo isn't. Further works will be
coordinated with the community as there is a real will to mutualize the
work. If everything goes well, you will soon see new names on this list.

For notice, at first they estimated the time needed for first OpenWOR
version to 30 days, it turned out that 7 days were enough...

Regards,
Jean Roc