[Qgis-developer] Re: r15685 Project properties on Mac

William Kyngesburye woklist at kyngchaos.com
Sun Apr 10 11:54:53 EDT 2011

On Apr 10, 2011, at 3:35 AM, Martin Dobias wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 2:35 AM, John C. Tull <john.tull at wildnevada.org> wrote:
>> Hi Martin,
>>
>> Your update has added a non-standard menu item to the Mac platform. Now, a "Settings" menu item is present, but the items contained therein are found in other, more standard places. E.g., there is a "Preferences..." item under a "QGIS" menu item, typical of all mac applications.
>>
>> Perhaps a platform check is in order to exclude this change on macs.
>
> Hi John
>
> so basically some menu items are shown twice - in different menus, right?
>
> In the section of code where the menus are created/updated, there is
> the comment pasted below. Please can you check that this is the
> correct for mac?
>
> Martin
>
>   * The User Interface Guidelines for each platform specify different locations
>   * for the following items.
>   *
>   * Project Properties:
>   * Gnome, Mac - File menu above print commands
>   * Kde, Win - Settings menu (Win doesn't specify)
>   *
>   * Custom CRS, Options:
>   * Gnome - bottom of Edit menu
>   * Mac - Application menu (moved automatically by Qt)
>   * Kde, Win - Settings menu (Win should use Tools menu but we don't have one)
>   *

Qt moves Options, and renames it to "Preferences", yet the dialog window is still named "Options".  It does not move Custom CRS.

I think there are 2 kinds of application level preferences - usage/interface, like options and keyboard shortcuts, and app feature prefs, like Custom CRS and Styles.  The interface prefs go in the application menu, but I'm not sure features prefs have any standard place.  The Edit menu is a common place for feature prefs (and Qgis does duplicate them there).

>   * Panel and Toolbar submenus, Toggle Full Screen:
>   * Gnome, Mac, Win - View menu
>   * Kde - Settings menu
>   *
>   * For Mac, About and Exit are also automatically moved by Qt to the
> Application menu.

Don't forget the Help menu that got moved - it should always be the last menu, but now it's before plugin menus.

-----
http://www.kyngchaos.com/

"I ache, therefore I am.  Or in my case - I am, therefore I ache."

- Marvin