[Qgis-developer] Provider native raster band stats

Martin Dobias wonder.sk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:50:56 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Etienne <etiennesky at yahoo.com> wrote:
> 3) regarding the progress bar:
> Do you have sufficient authority to ask the GDAL folks to change the prototype for GDALGetRasterStatistics() and GetStatistics() for them to include a progress call-back?  I could make a patch for it, but I don't know if they would accept it.
> In the mean time, I can copy the GDAL code into  qgsgdalprovider and submit that patch to you.

I do not think that GDAL folks would change the GetRasterStatistics
function prototype since changing it would result in breakage of
binary compatibility. The best approach is to post your idea on
gdal-dev list and to get some suggestions how to proceed. Since this
would require an addition to GDAL API (e.g. a new function
GetRasterStatisticsWithFeedback) you would probably need a prepare
short RFC for that feature and get it approved - otherwise the new
feature will likely not get into GDAL.

Regards
Martin