[Qgis-developer] Provider native raster band stats

Tim Sutton lists at linfiniti.com
Thu Aug 4 03:40:52 EDT 2011

Hi

On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:38 PM, Etienne <etiennesky at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm glad I can help!
>
> 1) regarding the histogram caching:
> GDAL does this automatically, it looks for existing aux file and a
> suitable histogram block.  It's all in function
> GDALPamRasterBand::PamFindMatchingHistogram() in file
> gdalpamrasterband.cpp .
> As long as the dataset has support for PAM (stored in the .aux.xml file), it should work.
> I found a bug in the floating-point comparison which was already fixed: http://trac.osgeo.org/gdal/ticket/4183
>
> Unlike the stats functions (GetStatistics/ComputeStatistics), there is only 1 function which looks for cached data.

Ok for me it seems to recompute the histogram every time (which takes
about a minute+ with the sample data set I sent you). I will update my
gdal svn copy to get your patch for #4183 and see if the problem goes
away.

> 2) regarding the caching of stats:
> Actually the GDAL driver looks for stored metadata (in function  GDALRasterBand::GetStatistics).
> This works for gtiff files, I don't know for other raster types.

ok

> 3) regarding the progress bar:
> Do you have sufficient authority to ask the GDAL folks to change the prototype for GDALGetRasterStatistics() and GetStatistics() for them to include a progress call-back?  I could make a patch for it, but I don't know if they would accept it.
> In the mean time, I can copy the GDAL code into  qgsgdalprovider and submit that patch to you.

Ok Martin addressed this in his email in this thread. I basically have
no more authority than anyone else in the community - they evauate
each request based on merit. As Martin mentions, breaking ABI
compatibility will not go down well with them so providing a wrapper
function which adds progress support (or perhaps adding the progress
callback as the last param with a default of void so that it can be
left out will be acceptable to them) would be good.

> 4)
> There is another issue I forgot to mention, and that is the bin count of the
> histogram.  GDAL uses 256 bins, and recently the GDAL histogram
> calculation  in QgsRasterLayerProperties::refreshHistogram()  has been
> changed to use 255 bins. ( const int BINCOUNT = 255; ).  Could this be
> put back to 256 for consistency with GDAL, or is there a reason for
> that?

Ok I have changed in my local copy and will commit soon.

> Thanks! Etienne

Thank you!

Regards

Tim