[Qgis-developer] State of un-bundling libs from QGIS

Volker Fröhlich volker27 at gmx.at
Thu Aug 4 17:34:29 EDT 2011

Dear developers,

today the Spatialindex package got approved for Fedora, the Qwtpolar package
is there for one or two weeks now. Cmake lets you choose between the bundled
version of Qwtpolar and a system wide for some time now. 2 weeks back I posted
a patch that allows the buildsystem to use a system wide Spatialindex. In
order to achieve that, I also had to modify the Spatialindex wrapper. You can
find the patch here: http://hub.qgis.org/issues/4111

I'd like to build Fedora's QGIS with the external Qwtpolar and Spatialindex,
but would like to have your review on the patch first, since I am not a
programmer.

The remaining bundles I know of are:

Name:libpal
Website: http://geosysin.iict.ch/trac/wiki/Index4extJPAL
Location: src/core/pal

Comment:

Martin Dobias did a lot of work on that one in 2009 and he and others continue
to do so. I recently wrote to Olivier Ertz, who is one of the original
authors, whether he was still interested in the library and interested in
merging the improvements upstream. I can try to help in this process, but I
don't know if I'm any help.

Name: qextserialport
Website: http://code.google.com/p/qextserialport/
Location: src/core/gps/qextserialport

Comment:

From what I saw on their tracker, they seem to have lots of users, but don't
really respond to tickets. Thus there are a lot of open bug reports. Not even
the license is completely clear, see
http://code.google.com/p/qextserialport/issues/detail?id=8
There also were requests for a fork.

Name: qtermwidget
Website: http://qtermwidget.sourceforge.net/
Location: src/plugins/grass/qtermwidget

Comment:

No commits for more than 2 years. Something might be going on here:
http://gitorious.org/qtermwidget

Name: nmealib
Website: http://nmea.sourceforge.net/
Location: src/core/gps

Comment:

There is a fork with new releases:
https://github.com/fhuberts/nmealib/downloads

One thing I'm not particularly fond of, is Pyspatialite. Pyspatialite is a
fork of PySqlite instead of an extension. I don't know though, if QGIS relies
on it.

To proceed, I ask you to review my patch and please comment on the invidual
libs, if there is more to know or I stated wrong.

Volker Fröhlich