[Qgis-developer] State of un-bundling libs from QGIS

a.furieri at lqt.it a.furieri at lqt.it
Fri Aug 5 10:47:25 EDT 2011

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011 23:34:29 +0200, Volker Fröhlich wrote
> One thing I'm not particularly fond of, is Pyspatialite.
> Pyspatialite is a fork of PySqlite instead of an extension. I don't
> know though, if QGIS relies on it.

Hi Volker,

Starting from formal assumptions, this is indisputably true:
Pyspatialite simply is an unpleasant fork of PySqlite.

Anyway reality very often is surprisingly different from
theory: unhappily, on the vast majority of Linux distros,
PySqlite forbids using SpatiaLite at all, because dynamic

So standing things, PySpatialite is a mandatory component
for QGIS: it's the unique affordable and reliable Python
connector effectively supporting SpatiaLite on every
possible platform. and Python plug-ins supporting SpatiaLite
aren't at all "rare birds" in QGIS.

bye Sandro