[Qgis-developer] Why is scrolling in the attribute table so slow?

Andreas Neumann a.neumann at carto.net
Fri Dec 2 02:28:18 EST 2011

 Hi,

 Fyi - Jürgen just included an option in the Postgis Table Connection
 dialogue allowing to cache a Postgis table or view locally. There is a
 separate column called "Select at ID" (german "Abfrage nach ID") which
 is checked by default. If you disable this checkbox it will activate
 "local caching" of the table data. Of course this is limited to the
 amount of memory you have in your machine, but it is great improvement
 for slower Postgis views or slower connections.

 Please try it out and report bugs, if any.

 I am not yet fully convinced if people understand what "Select at ID"
 means ... any suggestions? It is derived from the fact that if a
 provider has getFeatureAtId available it will not cache locally,
 otherwise it will. I would prefer "local cache" as a column name, but
 then the meaning of the checkbox would have to be reversed.

 Andreas

 On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 15:44:35 +0100, Andreas Neumann wrote:
>>> thats interesting - the same table in Spatialite or Shape scrolls
>>> much
>>> faster (at least 10 times faster)
>>
>>> so yes - it seems to be related to the PostgreSQL datasource.
>>
>> (commit) 90481072 might help with this a bit.
>>

> it helps for repeated scrolling. Initial scrolling is equally slow
> than before, but if I scroll back and forth to records that had
> already been viewed, it scrolls faster.
>
> Thanks, Jürgen!
>
> Andreas

 Andreas Neumann