[Qgis-developer] Re: [Qgis-user] Re: ecw problems

Jürgen E. Fischer jef at norbit.de
Sat Dec 3 05:00:16 EST 2011

Hi Nathan,

On Fri, 02. Dec 2011 at 22:42:22 +1000, Nathan Woodrow wrote:
>    It seems we are allowed to ship the ecw read-only SDK on windows:
>    "For avoidance of doubt, this Agreement does not permit You to (a) use the
>    ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK
>    Desktop Read-Only to create or distribute Server Applications or SDKs;

Is GDAL a SDK?  Do we need to take care not to ship it's libraries and header
files?   And to ship QGIS mapserver in a separate package as it's a server
application - which isn't allowed to have ECW support?

> (b) use the ERDAS ECW/JP2 SDK Desktop Read-Only to create Libraries;

Is GDAL a library?

> I suggest that we do this. ecw is a pretty popular format and it doesn't look
> good on us to tell people to go to the ERDAS site to download something that
> may or may not work if ERDAS change the version under us.

Fortunately I can happily live without it.   So it's cheap for me to say, that
I wouldn't like to jump to some extra packaging hoops just for some non-free
format.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen E. Fischer         norBIT GmbH               Tel. +49-4931-918175-20

Rheinstrasse 13, 26506 Norden